Defending Taylor (Hundred Oaks #7) by Miranda Kenneally

Hello Everyone!

Another review for you!

This time of the newly released Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally!

From Goodreads:



There are no mistakes in love.

Captain of the soccer team, president of the Debate Club, contender for valedictorian: Taylor's always  pushed herself to be perfect.  After all, that's what is expected of a senator's daughter.  But one impulsive decision-one lie to cover for boyfriend-and Taylor's kicked out of private school.  Everything she's worked so hard for is gone, and now she's starting over at Hundred Oaks High.

Soccer has always been Taylor's escape from the pressures of school and family, but it's hard to fit in and play on a team that used to be her rival.  The only person who seems to understand all that she's going through is her older brother's best friend, Ezra.  Taylor's had a crush on him for as long as she can remember.  But it's hard to trust after having been betrayed.  Will Taylor repeat her past mistakes or can she score a fresh start?

My Thoughts:

I love Miranda Kenneally's books!  They are seriously so cute!  Every time one comes out I order it immediately!  Defending Taylor came out last Tuesday, and while I forgot to preorder my copy, I did order it the day it was released, and thanks to Amazon prime got it by Thursday.

I am past those days where I can devour a book in one sitting, however, I did read it fast!  Especially for the fact, that in recent months it has taken me months to get through a single book!

Anyway, overall I truly enjoyed Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally!  While technically this book is a standalone, and can absolutely be read by itself, it is a part of the Hundred Oaks series.  It was a cute read that did a great job from getting me out of my head, and into one of my favorite places!  It was like a much needed vacation!

What I liked most about Taylor was that even though she was having a really hard time, I loved how confident she was and how for the most part she really stood for herself, especially around the mean-girl at her new school, Nicole.

Ezra, the love interest of the book, was interesting.  It surprised me that his secret would be such a big deal to his family, but I guess the world isn't always such an accepting place.

The character that randomly bothered me a bit was Taylor's mom.  I thought she was really judgmental and really wasn't there for Taylor when she really needed her.  And while at the end things look a little more up for Taylor, I still felt that Taylor's mom could have said something to her, like Taylor's dad did.

 Randomly I really liked Taylor's sister, Jenna.  Jenna, while having a forefront that was very mature and politically acceptable for the family, she also had her wild crass side that I really enjoyed, even though she only showed up a few times throughout the book.

This next thing has nothing to do with Miranda or her writing, it is more me talking about people in general: I know Taylor messed up big time, especially for the fact that Taylor's dad is being possibly reelected for Senator, but I just couldn't believe how unsupportive her family was!  They knew Taylor was in a bad place in her life and yet were not there for at all.  I get that they were disappointed in her, but that doesn't mean ignoring your child!

Overall rating:


I really did enjoy this one!  It was a great read to get me away from things happening in my life right now!  Just what I needed, and I really appreciated it!  I will say this though...the back of the book says that Defending Taylor is for ages 14 and up.  I personally don't agree with that.  There is some pretty strong sexual content (involving oral sex), and while things don't go into detail, it was HEAVILY implied.  I work with elementary school kids, and personally I think they know way too much than they should.  I believe a lot of that has to do obviously with the internet being so prominent (OMG I SOUND LIKE MY MOM!!!!!), but also because what the kids are surrounded by.  Books are one of those things.

While, yes I admit, I was pretty naive and innocent at the age of 14, I did not know about a lot of sexual acts, including female oral sex (I know, I know, but you aren't born with that knowledge!!!).  I just believe that if a parent were to go to the book store, find this book for their 14 year old daughter, thinking it was appropriate for a 14 year old, but not knowing there was oral sex in it, and other things, and they weren't okay with letting their daughter read that, then they would be mad.  Rightfully so!

So personally, I would put the age rating up to 16.  Which I know doesn't seem like all that much of a difference, but the maturity level between a 14 year old and a 16 year old can sometimes be pretty immense!  I may be overreacting, but I am just sad with how some of these kids are growing up knowing way too much way too early, and I'd like to keep their minds as innocent as long as possible.

However, I really did enjoy it!  It is a super cute easy read, for anyone looking for an escape!  I highly recommend it!

The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick