Fairest (#3.5 in the Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Hey Everyone!

Got another review finally!  Getting out of this reading rut has been more difficult than anticipated, but I finally got my hands on a good one, and one that I've been dying to get my hands on since its release!

Fairest by Marissa Meyer, #3.5 in the Lunar Chronicles.  This is story about Queen Levana that fans have been waiting for since almost the beginning!

From Goodreads:



In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana's story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her "glamour" to gain power.  But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived in a very different story -- a story that has never been told... until now.

Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death.  This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.


My Thoughts:

I was so stoked when I saw that Amazon had the hardcover of Fairest on sale for a little under $9! (It's unfortunately gone up now, but still only $10.58, which is still cheaper than the $17.99 that it is regular price!).  I had just gotten an unexpected settlement from a couple of Amazon's publishers, so it was the perfect time to turn some of that returned money into a new book!

Anyway, I've been really wanting to read this one since its release in January 2015, because after hearing so much about Queen Levana in Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress's stories, I knew it was time to hear side of things.

While this story does not take place during the time that the other Lunar Chronicles take place, it was interesting hearing how Queen Levana grew up and how life events had certain effects on her that we later see in the other Lunar Chronicle novels.

I actually started Winter a few months, a little after receiving it for Christmas, but for some reason I felt I was missing something while I was reading it.  I don't know what it was, but I ended up stopping, and waiting until I had some time to really get into it.

In Fairest we get to see the background story of not only Queen Levana, but also a little more background on Cinder's life, and on Winter, book #4 in the Lunar Chronicles, which was released last Winter.  Plus some of the other characters featured throughout the series come in, like head Thaumaturge Sybil Mira, Jacin, Dr. Erland (which if you look closely and remember the books enough, you'll figure out who he is.  Hint...in Fairest he is introduced by his original name).

Rating:

I loved it!!  It was like reading Wicked, and learning to somewhat understand why the antagonist became the way they did!  I will admit that I did not learn to like Queen Levana as much as I learned to love Elphaba in Wicked, but none the less I really enjoyed this storyline, and with Marissa's writing I was able to zoom through this enjoying every second!  I highly recommend this series!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick